Just secured an interview for an apprenticeship – what not to do!
Names have been changed but this is a true story and happens more than you think.
Yesterday Joe came in for an interview and some aptitude tests; he had applied for an advertised carpentry apprenticeship and was short listed on the basis of his resume and cover letter.
And then this happened…
- he was 15 minutes late, no apologies at reception
- when asked by the interviewer he said he hadn’t been late
- he was slouched in his chair during the interview
- made no eye contact with the interviewer and,
- took a phone call during the interview !!!
Do you think he has a chance of getting the job?
There is a minimum you have to show a potential employer: that you are keen, respectful & committed.
This comes through in your words and actions so if you’re serious about the job, show it.